There are times when being a mother is a joy and it gives you all the wealth you could ever imagine.
There are times when being a mother, pulls every emotion out of your body leaving you with no energy to deal with everyday life.
Austin, my daughter broke her finger today at college; ended up in the emergency room and now has a splint on it.
Now I know what you are saying… Not a big deal! It’s only a finger! It’s not like she broke her neck or got run over by a speeding semi!
No it is not like that…but you still go through the same emotions.
.
In my mind as I was going to the hospital was “It’s only a finger… not like she cut her hand off” but I was also thinking at the same time “she could have cut her hand off, or she could have got hit by a semi” It could have been much worse than what it was. I was grateful that it was only a finger.
.
My emotions seem to always run a muck through my mind thinking up different scenarios of what could happen to my kids and how to deal with it; trying to make me feel more prepared to handle any crisis that may come along. However, when it comes right down to it, there is not a way to make you more “prepared”. You have to have faith that your kids will make it through life unscathed, and if they don't, pray that you have the the ability to handle it
I know that I cannot always protect her while she is away from school and I have to trust her own instincts when it comes to decisions on what she does through life, but it scares me.
.
Its all part of growing up, and not just her, but me as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My daughter is almost two, and I have those same feelings even when she is not hurt. The fact that she could get hurt, is enough to scare me half to death.
Just up to a few years ago I had the same with my mother (and to a certain extent still have).
"However, when it comes right down to it, there is not a way to make you more “prepared”. You have to have faith that your kids will make it"
I guess it's not easy to stop worrying too much but I'd say try not to worry too much for - as you stated yourself - you can't be prepared for everything. Deal with a situation once it arises and if there is nothing you can currently do - don't try.
Kids will get hurt but usually it's nothing a kid won't be able to handle.
Does this make sense to you? (I'm kinda dizzy already so... :-) )
Post a Comment