Sunday, July 09, 2006

Procrastination

Procrastinate - To put off doing something (that is not pleasant to do), until some future time; to post pone habitually.
Procrastination and Procrastinator

This is the short definition of this word that is listed in the Webster's New World Dictionary.
This seems to be also the word that describes our house hold right now. Everyone is putting off stuff that needs to be done today, until a later date.
My son has been putting off doing the dishes until they are so piled high that he needs help in doing them... Well tonight he is doing them but not without a huge fight. He can think of almost anything just not to do these dishes, from that he is tired to he is hungry or he will do something to hurt himself, thinking that will get him out of doing the dishes. Well tonight he had the floor wet, so he slips and falls on the floor and starts to cry that he can’t get up. I told him that even if he breaks his leg tonight, he will finish the dishes first, and then I will take him to the hospital.
My Daughter does not like to do any house work. I had asked her tonight to pick up the living room (only papers and stuff lying out of place). A job that will take her all but 5 minutes to do, Only 5 minutes!... We spent the next 10 minutes arguing over the fact that she did not have time and she needed to paint.
My husband puts things off around the house that needs fixing or just some routine maintenance; to the point that it is now broken beyond repair or it is a major repair. This runs into a lot of money which if fixed or maintenance in the first place...... We are constantly bickering over what needs fixed first.
Me, I have been putting off looking for and registering for scholarships for my daughter, I have put off folding laundry until I have 6 baskets sitting around that needs folded, I put off cleaning out the car, and cleaning out my closets (both now resemble one an other), I have got to plant my plants, weed my garden, and clean my house..... It never seems to end..... I am the ultimate Procrastinator, and I wear this label well. I am not sure why I do this, these are things that need done. They are the unpleasant things in life, the routine things that once done..... You just have to do them again later... So why do they now when you have to do them later anyway?
Tonight I put Procrastinate on the back burner if only for the moment.
To let you know...
The dishes are done
The living room is picked up
Things are getting fixed around the house (but we still bicker over which is first)
And I got my laundry folded, the garden weeded, plants planted...
Cars and closets are not cleaned, scholarships still in need of being searched for.
I guess I will do that tomorrow,”After all, tomorrow is another day"

No comments: